The Center for Disease Control (CDC) published a study in June 2022 finding the widely used herbicide glyphosate in over %80 of urine samples. Among the participants were children aged six and older whose samples were collected and stored from 2013 to 2014.
In total, there were 2,316 participants with a target of six to 150 years of age from males and females, 650 children making up one-third of the collected samples. 1,885 of samples contained traces of glyphosate at or above the detection limit; %87 of the 650 children were among those who tested positive.
Bayer AG, the manufacturer of the weedkiller Roundup which uses glyphosate as a primary ingredient, responded to the study. They say the amount detected is still below the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) safety threshold of .14 percent and remains secure for human exposure.
The CDC conducted the study to determine how prevalent the herbicide is among the general population with exposure regularly caused by ingesting food. Despite the results, there is still very little data on how common the hazard is in the greater public.
Glyphosate is one of the most commonly used pesticides in the United States through Roundup. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified glyphosate as a probable carcinogen to humans in March 2015. This was determined after about 1000 studies using evidence of exposure to both humans and animals.
Roundup and Bayer AG are currently caught in a mass litigation tort with plaintiffs alleging the weedkiller caused their cancers after years of use, such as malignant fibrous histiocytoma and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. They face billions of dollars in damages as a result.
The company moved to appeal the verdicts of various court decisions, among them Hardeman v. Monsanto and Monsanto Co. v. Alberta Pilliod et al., where the former was awarded $25 million and the latter $87 million. The Supreme Court has rejected their proposals as the court of appeals revives additional lawsuits.
As it stands, Roundup is being reevaluated by the EPA after the Ninth Circuit found the agency’s cancer risk determination lacked sufficient evidence in June. The organization announced on August 2, 2022, that they will be unable to determine any health risks by the October 1 deadline.
Litigation is underway across the nation, and this new evidence may revitalize victims to claim the justice they deserve. Broughton Partners has an innovative approach where qualified claimants can be delivered to firms with our turn-key acquisition model.
Contact Broughton Partners today and learn how your firm can be part of this multidistrict litigation.
- Knauth, Dietrich, and Lawrence Hurley. “U.S. Supreme Court Again Nixes Bayer Challenge to Weedkiller Suits.” Reuters. Thomson Reuters, June 27, 2022. https://www.reuters.com/business/us-supreme-court-again-nixes-bayer-challenge-weedkiller-suits-2022-06-27/.
- Dress, Brad. “Herbicide Chemical Linked to Cancer Found in Majority of Urine Samples in CDC Study.” The Hill. The Hill, July 12, 2022. https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/3554147-herbicide-chemical-linked-to-cancer-found-in-majority-of-urine-samples-in-cdc-study/.
- Field, Emily. “High Court Won’t Hear $87M Monsanto Roundup Appeal.” Law360, June 27, 2022. https://www.law360.com/articles/1506308/high-court-won-t-hear-87m-monsanto-roundup-appeal.
- Field, Emily. “Monsanto Looks To Undo 11th CIRC. Roundup Ruling.” Law360, August 2, 2022. https://www.law360.com/articles/1517566/monsanto-looks-to-undo-11th-circ-roundup-ruling.
- Formuzis, Alex. “CDC Finds Toxic Weedkiller in 87 Percent of Children Tested.” Environmental Working Group, July 11, 2022. https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2022/07/cdc-finds-toxic-weedkiller-87-percent-children-tested.
- “IARC Monograph on Glyphosate.” International Agency for Research on Cancer. World Health Organization. Accessed August 9, 2022. https://www.iarc.who.int/featured-news/media-centre-iarc-news-glyphosate/.
- Pierson, Brendan. “U.S. Appeals Court Revives Roundup Weedkiller Cancer Lawsuit.” Reuters. Thomson Reuters, July 13, 2022. https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-appeals-court-revives-roundup-weedkiller-cancer-lawsuit-2022-07-12/.
- “Questions and Answers on Glyphosate.” U.S. Food and Drug Administration. FDA, February 28, 2022. https://www.fda.gov/food/pesticides/questions-and-answers-glyphosate.
- Rodriguez, Juan Carlos. “EPA Tells 9th Circ. It Will Blow Weedkiller Review Deadline.” Law360, August 2, 2022. https://www.law360.com/articles/1517663/epa-tells-9th-circ-it-will-blow-weedkiller-review-deadline.
- “SSGLYP_H.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, June 2022. https://wwwn.cdc.gov/Nchs/Nhanes/2013-2014/SSGLYP_H.htm.